Public Folder Migration to Office365 Groups
Analyze and migrate data to Office 365 Groups from Public Folders
Advanced Data Analytics and migration (ADAM) engine is a powerful analytical solution to resolving and dealing with data hierarchies in Exchange public folders, and migrating selected information into Office 365 Groups.By migrating public folder data into Office 365 Groups, organizations can regain control over shared information, using a common portal with much improved reliability and stability compared with traditional on-premises Exchange.
What does ADAM do?
ADAM analyses public folders and shared mailboxes from Exchange 2007, 2010, 2013, 2016 and Exchange Online, and automatically migrates data that meets predetermined quality criteria into Office 365 Groups, shared mailboxes, shared calendars, PST or modern public folders. Alternatively, ADAM can find redundant or obsolete data and delete it if required.
Beside automatically provisioning Office 365 Groups and shared mailboxes, ADAM can rehydrate shortcuts from archiving systems such as Veritas Enterprise Vault. It provides full item-by-item auditing using QUADROtech’s Sync’n’Switch technology, and can output data into PST files for further processing or archiving. In general release ADAM is available either as a cloud service, requiring no hardware or deployment of infrastructure, or as a standalone solution that can be delivered on-premises.
How does ADAM work?
Exchange public folders can span extremely large hierarchies and volumes of data. ADAM introduces the concept of dynamic grouping; its deep analytics identify logical splits between subfolders in the public folder hierarchy, based on permission sets and common folder properties. Exchange administrators can review the output of the analysis before migration, and extend or narrow the scope via a powerful user interface to remove redundant or irrelevant data.
ADAM is powered by proprietary, patent-pending Deep Analytics Technology (DAT), which automatically analyzes data held in legacy systems and takes their characteristics into consideration to determine the most suitable modern target system.
Criteria like size, age, content type, and ownership are compared so that, for instance, an object that has not been accessed in seven years is categorized as obsolete data and recommended for deletion or for export. Public folders that are accessed by multiple users on a sustained basis over, say, the last three months might better be moved to an Office 365 Group.
Why is ADAM needed now?
Although Exchange public folders have been commonly used to share and collaborate for over 20 years, they typically build up plenty of redundant data and can be very difficult to manage. Microsoft previously encouraged migration to SharePoint – which brought its own problems – but with such strong, rapid take-up across so many organizations, Office 365 Groups are clearly now the way forward.
Office 365 Groups closely match public folder functionality and have enhanced features around document sharing, threaded conversations, shared calendars and OneNote notebooks, with access to task-based planning via the new Office 365 Planner application. To get started with Office 365 Groups as part of your migration plan, you have to identify the data you hold, figure out where it should go, and determine ownership. Before ADAM there has been no single, easy, comprehensive solution that addresses these obstacles.
- Powerful Office 365 capabilities. ADAM was developed in consultation with Microsoft for superior processing, ingestion and clean up.
- Automatic provisioning. ADAM creates the relevant Office 365 Groups and automatically populates them with corresponding data.
- Advanced user options. Administrators can determine value criteria and thresholds according to their organizations’ Retention needs and policies.
- Deep analytics. ADAM compares objects and makes recommendations on how specific files should best be handled.
- Improve reliability of key shared resources. Groups share the same robust availability and security features as Office 365.
- Reduce storage cost. Only information supporting active collaboration or that is needed for compliance/policy reasons is migrated.
- Speed up public folder migration. Automation removes the need for manual reconciliation of folder structures and hierarchies.
- Rebuild shortcuts and links. archiving system links can be rediscovered and reconnected as part of the ADAM process.
© 2016 QUADROtech Solutions AG. All rights reserved.